60% - 3

Total : 5

#1 2007-01-20 01:57:36

Swan
Superstar
France
Website

[Wii] Immersive gameplay ?

I hear everyone saying that the wiimote offers an immersive gameplay but i kinda disagree with this statement. I think that the wii gives a lot of fun, i can't deny that, but i don't find motion detection to  be "immersive".
huiozpkhrd jo dm mimqvhsk
For me, moving in front of my tv makes me more aware of myself and increases the sensation of playing with something rather than immerging myself in the game. To be fully immerged i need to directly connect my brain to the character as if my fingers were the nerves and the buttons synapses. I think that an immersive gameplay is a gameplay where the interactions with the character come out smoothly. And when i deeply fall into a lethargic state i let my brain being fully available for the game.
b cdli ft lozcbe kq xsr
What's your opinion on this ?
madqr qp qvd pef mxzrqvi phra

http://www.ouverture-facile.com/signature.pnghttp://www.ouverture-facile.com/ofenlogo.png

#2 2007-01-20 03:23:31

phreakymonkey
Be moderate in everything, including moderation
Japan
Website

Re: [Wii] Immersive gameplay ?

I certainly agree that the input device does not dictate the level of immersiveness as much as the programming of the game, but having a control method to allow input in a method more natural and comfortable to humans – actually letting the user perform an analog of the action on-screen rather than mapping actions to buttons – is a step towards allowing people to be immersed physically and mentally.

The Wii controller has the potential to make some games more immersive for gamers, if it is used in an effortless and intuitive way. Games that are well designed could offer a level of interaction rarely achieved, making the experience richer and more absorbing. Games that are poorly designed will make people more aware of the device and its limitations. With so much control, you'll get frustrated if it doesn't respond quickly and in the way you expect. So at the end of the day, it's always the software.

That said, I haven't personally had a chance to get my hands on a Wii, so this is all theory. smile But looking to the last generation for examples, I always loathed the Playstation controllers because they hurt my thumbs. After running around the world map in some RPG for hours, I'd have to start using other fingers in awkward ways or stop playing. The discomfort kept pulling me out of the game. And besides being huge, the original XBox controller's face buttons are like little mountains of pain. There were times when I'd play a couple rounds of a fighter and my thumbs would already be throbbing. The Gamecube controllers, however, are amazingly comfortable traditional controllers. I knew it was good because I rarely had to think about it (except on some third-party titles with weirdo control schemes tongue). There were games I really liked on all three platforms, but most of my marathon gaming sessions would be with Paper Mario 2 or Eternal Darkness or Metroid Prime. (Although after I bought a very comfortable Logitech wireless XBox controller, the XBox got a lot more play too.)

#3 2007-01-20 03:36:46

Swan
Superstar
France
Website

phreakymonkey wrote:

And besides being huge, the original XBox controller's face buttons are like little mountains of pain. There were times when I'd play a couple rounds of a fighter and my thumbs would already be throbbing. The Gamecube controllers, however, are amazingly comfortable traditional controllers.

[off topic]
Speaking of controllers, I find the 360 controller to be a mix between the xbox and the gamecube's gamepad. The sticks more accurate and better placed than on the dualshock.  I didn't like the xbox gamepad but the 360's one is great (I also like the dreamcast-like triggers).
[/off topic]

http://www.ouverture-facile.com/signature.pnghttp://www.ouverture-facile.com/ofenlogo.png

#4 2007-01-20 07:40:33

phreakymonkey
Be moderate in everything, including moderation
Japan
Website

I'm glad to hear they tried to improve it, instead of just changing the color and adding a button or two. (I'm looking at you, Sony.) mad

#5 2007-01-23 00:32:48

nosh
Geek
United States

phreakymonkey wrote:

I'm glad to hear they tried to improve it, instead of just changing the color and adding a button or two. (I'm looking at you, Sony.) mad

the PS3 controllers are different, they have motion sensing capabilities (gee i wonder where they got the idea)
...nintendo was robbed

haven't played in a long time, but i'm finally back, i used to be on level 72 but i can't find my old notebook, so i'm working my way back to it from the start (oh well, i can use the refresher)

Board footer