Ouverture Facile : Forum

Ouverture Facile : Forum

This is the official board for the game Ouverture Facile

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-27 23:38:10

United States

[Books] Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

kfetman suggested I should have a more in-depth discussion than what I had before, so here it is:
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Robert M. Pirsig
He is not only a bestselling writer, but was tested to have a 170 IQ at the age of 9 (that's higher than about %99.99 of the people who take the test). At around age 20 he started becoming slightly insane, even calling himself another name: Phaedrus, the name of a philosopher who engaged in a dialogue with Socrates. Pirsig taught for many years, and during that time developed many intriguing ideas, most of which were loosely based around Eastern philosophies. After having a serious breakdown, he received several shock therapy treatments and became somewhat normal again.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
The plot is basically about a man on a road trip with his son, starting off with a couple friends also on the trip. There are very interesting developments between Pirsig and his son, especially as Pirsig begins once again to delve into the metaphysics that he brewed up as Phaedrus. Spliced into the book are sections about Phaedrus and his metaphysics of Quality. A large portion of the book is spent describing the intricate metaphysics of Quality, a philosophy that Pirsig wanted to replace the subject-object view of reality. The view of the world begins to take over Phaedrus's mind, and as the book progresses the flashbacks of Phadreus show a more and more reclusive, yet intellectually fierce man. Pirsig was so enraptured with his philosophies that about twenty years after this bestseller was published, he wrote Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals in which he further develops the metaphysics of Quality.

My Opinions
I find this to be the most insightful book I have ever read. I've read some philosophical material, but this completely blew me away how well Pirsig was able to describe such an amazing and complicated philosophy. The book broke apart the way I think about the world for me, and then it seemed so obvious Western philosophies are constantly trying to over-simplify the world. You can't just see the world simply as there being a subject and an object: there are Qualities too! I couldn't believe how well Pirsig's metaphysics could explain seemingly everything right after finishing the book. After my mania for the books subsided slightly, I now still view the book as a major influence of my philosophical thoughts. Pirsig also writes in a manner that I found exquisitely eloquent and insightful.

Last edited by Jalsoph (2007-03-21 00:39:49)

__♫The tires are the things on your car that make
__contact with the road. ♪♫♪
__Back to learning French! lvl 75

#2 2007-03-14 16:04:13

(Drink in) Moderation

Re: [Books] Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

It  would be a good idea to give more information about the book like: the subject, a picture of the book ...
Article on Wikipedia

Toma gives a good exemple of what  you could do.

And don't forget: Google is your friend !!!

Board footer