This is the official board for the game Ouverture Facile

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-20 04:20:55

Ruzzo
Guitar God
United States
Website

Any musicians out there?

Alright so school is back up in session and I'm in my final year of high school.
One of the classes I am taking is AP Music Theory HL2 (Basically my 3rd year of theory so they call it some fancy name).
Today in the class the instructor announced that we had to compose something, anything, as long as it is over 5 minutes long. Normally when we have composition assignments I'll just write something up real quick on the guitar since that is the instrument I play most often. This time though I want to really challenge myself however. I want to compose a piece for a string quartet which is something I have never actually attempted before. The piece isn't due until October 10th but I want to get started now or else I will end up putting it off until October. wink

The reason I'm here isn't because I need help writing it, I can do that easily. The reason I'm here is to find inspiration.
I wanted to know if there were any musicians here or anybody in general that knew of a piece of music (preferably a string quartet but anything will do) that would blow my mind and inspire me to start writing. I have heard a lot of music before and I know of quite a few composers but there is still a lot I have not heard. Something out there that is amazing that might just light a spark in my mind, get me thinking ya know?

Do you have any music you could recommend?

#2 2008-08-20 11:37:58

glouton
modo from quasi-paris ( FRiZ)
France

Re: Any musicians out there?

Hmmm !

I remember playing a lot of Vivaldi when I learnt violin (before trying guitare, sax and pieano) you might want to search this way.

You may also find inspiration from Yo-Yo Ma & Bobby McFerrin and the Hush album where you can find many classicals. I especialy like Hush Little Baby and the Ave Maria.

But maybe do you need something more modern.

glouton in French it means wolverine.
It's small, chunky and will gobble anything up !

#3 2008-08-20 21:10:48

Jalsoph
Geek
United States

Hush is such an awesome album!!!!
actually, speaking of Bobby McFerrin he's any insanely incredible musician(vocally), perhaps he could inspire you. Also, on his website you can see the different part of Don't Worry Be Happy as it plays; interesting and fun, and perhaps a little inspiring.

__♫The tires are the things on your car that make
__contact with the road. ♪♫♪
__                                                                         
__Back to learning French! lvl 75

#4 2008-08-24 10:15:12

jeffw
Mod' of War
Wales

There's a french guy that I like a lot (me of course) and an other one call Yann Tiersen, pretty cool composer... well I like him.
Everything is not for string, but what is, is good.
A friend of mine based one of her composition on his work and played it at my wedding with... a string quartet (she's a viola player). wink

I ain't no stupid...I'm just french.

Level 70 something(english)/Level 93(french) done and dusted, next ! wink

#5 2008-08-25 18:07:18

glouton
France

You americans may know the movie Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amlie Poulain. Yann Tiersen is the soundtracks composer and performer.

#6 2008-08-26 00:27:27

Ruzzo
Guitar God
United States
Website

glouton wrote:

...Bobby McFerrin and the Hush album where you can find many classicals. I especialy like Hush Little Baby and the Ave Maria.

Jasolph wrote:

...speaking of Bobby McFerrin he's any insanely incredible musician(vocally), perhaps he could inspire you.

6EQUJ5! I can not believe I have never heard of this man before. This completely blew my mind when I listened to some of his stuff. I really need to look up more into this. Very very cool indeed. smile

jeffw wrote:

...Yann Tiersen, pretty cool composer... well I like him.

glouton wrote:

...the movie Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amlie Poulain. Yann Tiersen is the soundtracks composer and performer.

Also very cool. I have heard of his works before especially his comptine d'un autre t but I have never actually heard of him or known his name. Thanks for bringing this up. smile

Alright so anyway, I have started my composition and so far so good. I am going to meet with my music instructor sometime this week or next week to present to him the main idea behind the composition I am working on and he will give me some positive feedback and push me along in the right direction or whatnot.

Thanks everybody for all the help so far. I appreciate it. smile
-Ruzzo

#7 2008-08-30 17:25:04

bacchus
moderate in drinkation
France

will you put it online some day ?
what genre did you pick up ? i would have gone for something poetical and complex, so i would have tried to make up several "voices" from pieces like erik satie's. but that ain't easy.

franais, english, deutsch, svenska, 日本語 - always keen on learning other languages
http://www.whiskybase.com/mc.gif
finished HP7 book on 22nd at 4 pm ^^ http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/2338/dhmh7.png

#8 2008-08-30 17:52:00

Ruzzo
Guitar God
United States
Website

bacchus wrote:

will you put it online some day ?

Yes I will.
Whenever I finish it I will either post the actual midi file I am working with (I have a special composing program that plays my work as I write it using midi instruments), or I will just take a screenshot of the actual sheet music and post it up here.

#9 2008-08-31 15:18:42

glouton
France

Or both. tongue

#10 2008-11-09 05:36:21

Ruzzo
Guitar God
United States
Website

Well I have not yet finished my quartet piece I am working on so instead I just  turned in a guitar instrumental I composed, and one that I am quite happy with at that. Fortunately there is another composition due somewhere in mid December so I am hoping to have my string quartet composition finished by then.

Thanks for all the music suggestions. smile
It really helped with writing my guitar instrumental because I was experimenting with writing darker more moodier music if you know what I mean. I'm also going to throw some of those influences into my new composition which is shaping up quite nicely at the moment.

Well again thank you for all the help. Since I have everything I need I am going to turn this thread into a general musician discussion.

I'll start this thread going I guess...tongue

I took up playing the guitar about three and a half years ago simply because I wanted to be really cool and know how to play guitar haha. I got an awesome instructor who taught me almost everything I know now. He also influenced me greatly music-wise because starting out I was a little metal head. tongue He turned me on to the real beauties of music and he is the reason I am at where I am today. My teacher, Tony was his name, was an incredibly huge Dream Theater fan (and when I say huge, I mean HUGE). Listening to Dream Theater,, I began to open up to an entirely new genre of music which I did not even know existed at the time. Long story short, he expanded my musical interests which in turn made me really interested into well...music in general. I started to take music theory classes to try to gain more knowledge on the fascinating topic. It really interested me, music turned from just a side hobby to a lifestyle.

Sorry for that little life story right there tongue, I got a little carried away haha.
Basically in summary, my instrument of choice is the guitar. I do sing but I have not yet come over the fear of singing in front of other people (which I really should work on). I really wished I would have taken more instruments up than just the guitar but I am happy where I am at right now. I am pretty good at playing if I do say so myself tongue.

Alright well enough rambling from me. Sorry for that little story there, it is quite boring where I am right now and I needed something to do. wink
I am interested to hear other people's stories. Any musician's out there?

#11 2008-11-10 12:17:54

glouton
France

Hello Ruzzo,

Thanx for sharing your story. Your experience should be teach to some people. wink

Concerning me and myself I've learnt violin a long time ago during 4 years at the conservatoire, playing in a little orchestra. As my father played guitare me and my family used to sing quite often. My mom played flute, my sister piano and my brother guitare.
Since these good old times i've played some piano and sax as the basic fingering is the same as the recorder i pratice at the conservatoire.
For many years now i've played guitare but only as an accompaniment to sing the songs I love. I'm on Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen (Bob Dylan, Jeff Byckley) for a few days but must now work on the arpeggio.

PS: it's a lot easier to tell my story in french. tongue

#12 2008-11-16 14:16:47

jeffw
Mod' of War
Wales

You bet. tongue

Well, I used to play the mighty saxophone (alto) for about 10 years... a totally wrong choice really. When my parents asked me (aged 8... me of course, not my parents) if I wanted to play an instrument (with a limited choice of options, for example piano was out of the question, not enough room in the house...) it was really down to two : guitar or sax ; and like an idiot I thought at the time 'everyone plays guitar' so sax was more unusual therefore cooler... WRONG ! Try to bring your saxophone to a party to have a sing along with your friends, it just doesn't work. I've been through several bands (jazz, rock, rythm and blues and even latino-salsa) with quite fond memories of the Rythm and Blues one but it all ended when I was 18 years old. An accident at work badly cut my left index finger to the bone with some tendons on the way, it's never been the same since, it lacks flexibility and it is pretty slow too. If you know a little bit about saxophones you can understand that a slower left index finger is definitely not want you want. So I gave up.
Afterwards, I tried to teach myself to play guitar... It didn't work out either. Two reasons for that, first, it is pretty tough to teach something you don't know... tongue
And secondly it got even tougher when I had to sell my guitar because I needed the money. wink
I turned to singing after all that and I had few good gigs with some friends in Paris. I never had a problem singing front of a crowd as I'm an actor by trade. smile

Here you go, my music story. wink

I ain't no stupid...I'm just french.

Level 70 something(english)/Level 93(french) done and dusted, next ! wink

#13 2009-07-17 11:09:27

Mal^_achi
United Kingdom

Lol. You lot all seem to have such interesting lives smile can't really say the same for me.

I was grade 7 piano by age 13 and played quite a lot of music by Rachmaninov, chopin... my favourite being the Fantasie Impromptu, though i could never play that now. I've sung in various liturgical choirs over the years and would be very happy to help you in creating any music you want. If you are making a string quartet, i reccomend listening to simple things, such as Barbers Adagio... a piece does not always have to be super fast and super complicated in order to be amazing. Slow and melodic pieces often gain more marks at later stages due to the thought and cadances that have gone into them...

PM if you need a hand with composing any music, also pm if you want anything transcribed or arranged smile i would be more than happy to do that too. Oh. If any of you have seen the film Spirited Away by Studio Ghibli, i am uploading my own arrangement of the opening piano part onto megaupload, will post links here or send via email if any body wants it.

"...and all the money i waste, it's just a matter of taste..."
http://www.ouverture-facile.com/ad/logo5.png

Board footer